#EcoFriendly PRELAM® for greener plastic cards
Linxens launches the recycled PET-G EcoLAM®, an eco-friendly contactless prelaminate PRELAM® designed to make plastic cards “greener”. EcoLAM® is manufactured using over 85% recycled PET-G (polyethylene terephthalate) which helps to reduce carbon footprint in the smartcard industry and create an environmentally responsible supply chain.
Linxens promotes renewable, recycled and recyclable materials compatible with the current smartcard manufacturing processes, hot lamination, embossing, offset and digital printing processes.
EcoLAM® product offering also includes PLA (polyactic acid), a bio-based polyester derived from renewable resources such as corn, sugar cane and other recycled, degradable materials.
With EcoLAM® range of products ready for mass production, Linxens aims to propose new, greener options for card manufacturers and issuers in the Financial Services, Transport, Hospitality, Leisure and Entertainment markets.
Linxens drives the adoption of sustainable and environment-friendly solutions
According to ABI research, more than 8 billion of PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) smartcards manufactured and issued in 2018 correspond to 40,000 tons of PVC. It is made from fossil fuel based non-renewable raw materials that is extremely difficult to recycle. When PVC is burned, it releases hazardous chlorine and chemical compounds into the atmosphere contaminating further the environment.
Polyvinyl Chloride is one of the most widely used plastics in the world. Concerns are rising about the environmental impact this material generates.
Linxens is therefore taking a proactive role in assessing the feasibility of using alternative materials for contactless and dual-interface cards to reduce the use of virgin PVC plastics.
The launch of rPET-G EcoLAM®’s innovation establishes best practices in making smartcards more sustainable which means no release of toxic or regulated substances throughout its lifecycle.
Likewise, with the full support from Linxens’ partners and customers, this eco-friendly initiative can be fully materialized.
Discover the different applications of EcoLAM®
1. Smart Payment Cards
- Linxens has made an eco-friendly breakthrough with Folienwerk Wolfen that has developed PET-G based (polyethylene terephthalate) card-lamination films. Folienwerk Wolfen can provide recycled PET-G for inlays and printing sheets, which comprise 85% of the plastic in smartcards.
- On the second quarter of 2020, overlays used in the card manufacturing process will also be available in recycled PET-G. No new equipment is needed to use PET-G plastic in the manufacturing process. Read the full article.
2. Hotel and Leisure Cards
- Linxens helps card manufacturers and lock providers deliver reliable and secure key cards to global hotel brands and enhance guest experience. See the video.
- Encoding Services and Key Management features are also available to program different security codes and levels according to the hotel lock system and security requirements.
See the video.
3. Transport and Access Cards
- Linxens also provides sustainable solutions for card manufacturers in the transport and access control markets. EcoLAM® is therefore available for mass production of dual-interface and contactless cards while achieving non-toxic products throughout its lifecycle.
- 100% PVC free
- Made from recycled material
- Carbon footprint reduction
- Socially responsible supply chain
- High durability and excellent electrical performance
- Hermetically sealed transponders
- Delivered with reference marking, which can be a trimmed corner, or optional printed crossmarks or punch holes
- Standard and customized sheet layouts
- Various ICs such as NXP, Infineon, ST Microelectronics, Samsung, ATMEL, Impinj and others
- 125 kHz
- 13.56 MHz
- 860-960 MHz
- -25°C to +50°C
- Initialization / customized programming of data
- ISO 14443
- ISO 15693
- ISO 18000-6C
Deliverables and Sample Requests
- Please get in touch with us here.